Thursday, April 7, 2011

Growing Plants and Screaming Babies

As many of you know, I got my own garden plot this year at a nearby community garden. I've been pretty excited about it. I grew up gardening. It was totally a family thing. Sometimes, though, I'm surprised that I even like gardening considering that a typical childhood punishment for my siblings and I was to weed the garden. Not, "Go to your room" or "No dessert for youtonight" or even "You're grounded", but "The corn patch will be really excited to have its weeds cleared this afternoon." But apparently it wasn't traumatic enough, because here I am anxious to weed my plot this weekend to free my plants from those pesky little intruders.

Over the past few weeks I've often thought, "Is taking care of plants similar to taking care of a child?" I know, I can only ride the wings of this analogy so far, but bear with me for a minute. First of all, I think of my plants often and wonder how they're doing. I wonder if the weather is too hot or too cold or too wet or too dry. I get excited each day I head to water them after work. If they don't look well, I wonder what I did wrong. My thoughts become consumed with , "Should I have listened to that guy at the nursery who said the fertilizer pellets were the best, or my dad who always fertilized with the organic liquid stuff?" or "Did I water too much this week?....Not enough?" On the flip side, when my plants look full and green I feel a sense of pride as if all the worry and hard work was totally worth it.

I fully realize that taking care of plants is a far cry from being a parent. Yet I imagine that some of the emotions -excitement, worry, pride- are similar. Magnified a million times, but similar. Now don't get too excited- this blog is not my way of announcing that a miniature Hurd is on the way. But Josh and I were talking about kids today. Josh is taking a class called Religion and Violence and the topic today was abortion. Over dinner tonight, we talked about the discussion from his class today. By the end of the meal, we had talked our way into thinking that adoption might be part of our future. Of course we'll see what the coming years bring. These are just thoughts and prayers now. Needless to say, I am excited for that season in life. I hope I'll be ready for the massive responsibility of growing something more significant and meaningful than a plant- a human being. And considering I'm currently having a bit of trouble keeping my tomatoes alive, it looks like I'm going to need a lot prayer and advice when that time does come!

No comments:

Post a Comment